Friday, August 2, 2013

The Power of a Photo

You all know I love the written word. But sometimes I'm reminded of how words are no match for an exceptional picture that says it all.

(Click the image to view it larger)

Image credit: Jessica Bissonnette Higgins

A friend took this photo. I know very little about the boys in the picture. But when I saw it, it set off my imagination instantly...

Is it dawn, or dusk? Probably dusk... unless their dad got them up early to go fishing. Probably they're up past their bedtime and are in total kid heaven. Are they brothers? Cousins? Did the older one teach the younger one how to fish? Both kids look so natural in this setting, like they've been to this lake and stood in that grass and maybe even put a worm onto that hook many times before. I feel transported, like I'm there, in that scene. I can practically hear the crickets chirping, the water lapping. I can feel the warm nighttime summer air, smell the freshwater lake, see lightning bugs glowing, and hear a frog croaking. Maybe their family has a campfire going nearby, and the whole world smells like hot dogs and wood smoke. If I were their mom, I'd be calling them to bed soon, and they'd complain, because they're having too much fun, but then they'd crash and sleep like rocks from being active in the fresh air.  I want to be there. So I can be as peaceful and serene as this photo makes me feel.

Was that a thousand words?

See you later. I have a sudden craving for s'mores.

No comments:

Post a Comment