Thursday, August 1, 2013

The People on the Bus Go Yap, Yap, Yap

It never fails.

Some days, when I am exhausted and crabby after a long work day, all I want is a nice, quiet, peaceful commute home before I enter Bedlam (aka the madhouse that is my home from the time that we all get home until the kids go to bed).

On those days, I inevitably board a city bus chock-full of people who:

  • Yell into their cell phone as if they are talking to someone who is going deaf
  • Crank their iPod volume up to 11, so that everybody on the entire bus can hear the music even though it's coming through earbuds
  • Board the bus as a pair, who then sit 8 seats away from one another and holler back and forth to have their conversation
  • Board the bus in groups, and loudly reminisce about the party they were at last night, because they are clearly the coolest, most entertaining people in the vicinity and we ALL need to know it
  • See nothing wrong with doing any of the above, because it's their God-given right to do as they please and to hell with courtesy, decorum, chivalry, or any other such hopelessly outmoded concept.
But wait! Some of you probably haven't ever been on a city bus during rush hour. Allow me to illustrate. It looks a lot like this:


If you're lucky enough to get a seat, you usually end up getting your feet stepped on, sideswiped by gigantic backpacks, and beaned in the face with dangling purses as people squeeze past. If there are no seats left, well, you're standing, holding on for dear life, with your face in that dude's armpit. Enough said.

This tends to give me Cranky Commuter Face:

I am not amused.
Oh well. I suppose it could be worse:



And thank goodness I can write blog posts (or start drafts, at least) from my phone. Hooray for the creative release of stress! By the time I picked up my youngest and got home, we were back to this:


TGTF. Only two more bus rides until the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Commuting is one of the few things that I do NOT miss about Chicago:)

    ReplyDelete