Sunday, August 18, 2013

Girl Scout Cookie Bars and the Walgreens Win

Image credit: Kelley U. on Yelp.com
If you have yet to experience the delight that is Girl Scout Cookie candy bars, stop reading now and hightail it to your nearest Walgreens.

In the opinion of my sweet tooth, they are the greatest candy bars ever. The Thin Mint variety tastes exactly like a Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie. The Caramel & Coconut is a close second. And to my husband, the Peanut Butter Creme is manna from heaven.

But that's not the big win. I'll get to that.

"Limited Edition"—Yeah, Right

These little nuggets of awesome say "Limited Edition" all over the wrapper. Even though I know this is a marketing ploy to sell more candy bars, I don't care. My give-a-damn takes a nap when my taste buds are this satisfied.

Except they are sort of "limited edition." Not all Walgreens stores carry them. And they're often sold out. And they appear to be sold only during the summertime. So, when I do see them, I tend to buy several.

Last weekend, I hadn't eaten one since a month or two ago. I think you can see where this is going.

Saturday Night's Triple Win

Saturday night, my husband and I went to a house party at a friend's. On the way home, we got the munchies and decided we'd stop and grab dessert. We knew there was a bakery on our walk home from the train. Alas, it was closed.

Image credit: www.nemosbakery.com
So we ended up at Walgreens. We figured we could find something there to satisfy our cravings, even if it was one of those mass-produced, plastic-wrapped Nemo's Carrot Cake squares that I have no business loving, but do.

I made a beeline for the candy aisle. Rows of Hershey, Nestle, and Cadbury goodies stared back at me, but none of my beloved Girl Scout Cookie bars.

Oh well. I grabbed a deLish Caramel Kingdom chocolate bar, my husband settled for some Oreos, and we headed for the checkout.

Our cashier was a man we've seen a few times before, this being our friendly neighborhood Walgreens. As we dropped our treats on the counter, I couldn't resist asking him: "Do you guys have any of those Girl Scout Cookie candy bars?"

Nirvana.
The cashier pointed behind me at a checkout display. Jackpot! Not only did they have the bars, they had entire boxes of them! My husband and I may have actually cheered (several glasses of wine may have been consumed that evening). We grabbed a couple of boxes each, figuring we could freeze the extras and eat them all winter long.

The cashier's eyes twinkled as he rang us up.

As he handed me my receipt, he pointed to it.

"There's a phone number on here," he said, "for Cookie Intervention."

We were halfway home before we stopped laughing.

What a triple win—a date night, hard-to-find sweet treats, and unexpected humor.

In closing, I leave you with some wise words from the Dr. Demento show:


This week I'm connecting with the great folks at YeahWrite. Check 'em out!

13 comments:

  1. Winter is on it's way, (at least where I live) stock piling your food stores is probably a wise decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stockpiling sweets in the freezer is never a bad thing IMO! So long as they don't outnumber the frozen veggies ;)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen those before... Now I must find them or my life will not be complete...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife read this at around midnight. 5 minutes later, I was sent out on a 40 minute hike to get some chocolate. It was a good walk, though, so thank you for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achievement unlocked: Awesome husband award!

      Delete
  4. I've seen them, but never tried them. I don't frequent the Walmart. But, after your post, I might just have to give them a try. Am I signing myself up for a world of addiction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WalGREENS! No need to go to Wal-Mart. They're pretty addicting, but not too bad... Candy Crush is worse.

      Delete
  5. OMG how I love these things!! I got some at the Walgreens on vacation the other day and my son ate them in no time flat. I'm heading to the Walgreens today to get more. I would've cheered right there in the store too - even without the wine. ;) I have been known to audibly gasp when I see something on a store shelf that I'm culinarily in love with. And I love it when the cashier has a sense of humor. You did indeed hit the jackpot that night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when cashiers have a sense of humor, too. I have done that job and it is so boring. It's boring for both the cashier and the customer. Why not inject a joke or two into the transaction!

      Delete
  6. I'm jealous, because I wish they carried those here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go Natalie!
      http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Limited-Edition-Chocolate-Crispies/dp/B0098QPNJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377193504&sr=8-1&keywords=girl+scout+cookie+nestle

      Delete
  7. Oh, Lord! I had no idea Walgreens carried any food items worth consuming. Now that I know I'm in trouble...

    ReplyDelete