Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'm So Embarrassed...

It's embarrassing, but it's true. Even professional editors and proofreaders make mistakes sometimes.

Hey, nobody's perfect. That's why we have Webster's dictionary, the Chicago Manual, and books like that around: for when we can't remember how to spell or punctuate something.

What's Your Embarrassing Error?

True confessions time. What is that ONE mistake that you always make, even though you should know better?

For me, it's the word supersede. I ALWAYS want to spell it supercede. Spelling it with a c is not an accepted variant spelling. It is not a correct spelling by any stretch of the imagination. I have no idea why it's in my brain at all! And yet, it is. I have looked it up in Webster's more times than I can count, yet the correct spelling somehow fails to stick.

Another true confession: The older I get, the less I care about typography (and, to some extent, punctuation). I don't know if this comes from proofreading things for so many years that I just have Error Fatigue, or what. All I know is, I used to be so anal-retentive about these things, and now I am a lot lazier about it (basically, as long as it's consistent within a document, I don't really care). BAD EDITOR! No biscuit!

1 comment:

  1. I always go to spell supersede with a c first...

    ReplyDelete