Friday, March 25, 2011

Bummed About Borders


I’m sad about the Borders bookstores closing in the greater Chicago area. When I stopped in recently, a soon-to-be-ex-employee told me that all Borders stores in the city are closing, with the exception of the one on State Street in the loop.

It’s so depressing to walk or drive past a closing Borders store and see those garish signs in the windows that scream, “STORE CLOSING!” “EVERYTHING 50-60% OFF!” It’s like writing an obituary in gaudy neon. The signs are like… you know that obnoxiously loud and WAY TOO EXCITED announcer’s voice that you hear in TV commercials for discount furniture stores? It’s like having that guy announce that somebody you love is terminally ill.

Sure, Borders has been a “megastore” among bookstores. More like a Target than like a boutique, more generic than unique. But I don’t mind the size. I love walking in the front door and seeing the rows upon rows of bookshelves, the soaring ceilings, the overhead signs pointing you toward different genres, the colorful and kindly-lit ambience, the comfy sofas, and dozens of other book lovers. The whole atmosphere represented the endless possibility of great things to read.

Beyond One Bookstore

I don’t know why I’m so gloomy about this. I might have guessed it was coming. Amazon.com has been doing a booming business for over a decade now (goodness knows I shop at Amazon myself, though Borders was my store of choice if I wanted to browse in person). Kindles and Nooks have launched e-books into the mainstream. The writing was on the wall.

But Borders was a titan in the industry. For Borders to fall to its knees means that no brick-and-mortar bookstore is safe.

I suppose I didn’t think it would happen so soon. It’s only 2011. Can the old trusty paper-and-ink book really be borderline obsolete? I figured I’d have my own flying car before that happened. Or is the Borders “reorganization” just a sign of the poor economic times?

Maybe my real issue is that I don’t want books to die. I like the feel of a book in my hands. I like the look of the bookshelves in my condo, filled with colorful books of all types and ages and origins. I love browsing bookshelves, letting my eye pass along the rows until something strikes me that I’d like to read or re-read or recommend to someone. It’s a relief to relax with a nice book after staring at a computer screen all day at work. God help me, I even get a kick out of the cover art. I like not having to pay a lot for a book, remember to charge it, or keep track of its plug and accessories.

I would miss books if they go.

The positive side of the Borders closings is that I will probably end up spending more time at my local neighborhood bookstore, Women and Children First. I usually don’t go there because, as the name implies, they have a specific focus, so they wouldn’t carry just any old novel I was after. On the other hand, the store is great for browsing and for discovering new authors. If I have to have a specific book, there’s always Amazon. Or a train ride down to State Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment