Thursday, March 17, 2011

How (Not) to Get a Job, Part 1

Over the past few years, I have seen people use some strange tactics to try to get a job. "Strange" is my nice way of putting it. Rude, offensive, and creepy is more accurate.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur who just needs to realize that times have changed. Then again, maybe I'm right, and these people are crazy. You tell me.

Bachelorette #1

A few years back, I posted an ad on Craigslist for an editing position that my company was hiring for. A woman applied. We'll call her Grace.

Grace was not qualified for the job. I would have just written her back with a polite "Thanks, we've filled the position." Except that it was a Craigslist posting, and I'd been inundated with 250 other equally unqualified applicants. So I responded only to the handful that I wanted to interview, and ignored the other 245.

Then I learned that Grace didn't like to be ignored. She didn't go all Alicia-Silverstone-in-The-Crush on me or anything like that. But she did e-mail me every few days to "follow up." Gradually, these e-mails became annoying. I mean, take a hint, lady! I should have just told her to buzz off, but I was busy.

Next thing I know, I open Facebook, only to find a message from Grace. "Hi!" she said. "I hadn't heard from you via your company account, so I thought I'd try you on here."

I was creeped out. How could it ever conceivably be appropriate to look up a complete stranger on Facebook just to "follow up" on a job application? I was so wigged about it that I wrote her, politely, suggesting that what she had done was not very professional and that she consider how such a thing appeared when applying to jobs in the future. She wrote me back, all defensive of what she had done, as if I were the weird one.

Apparently she saw NOTHING wrong with cyber-stalking somebody to get a job.

The Verdict

So who's the crazy one? Grace, or me?

I'm pretty sure it's Grace. But my curse in life is to always second-guess myself. I have this idea that some perky little twenty-something will jump out from behind a smartphone and tell me, "Duh! People have been doing stuff like that for years! Get with the times, old lady." So I'd like to know what you think.

Next entry: Bachelor #2.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this, mostly. One or two polite requests for a response on her part would be appropriate, but after receiving no response, she should quit. Stalking is unquestionably rude and unprofessional.

    On the other hand, if one of the unqualified applicants I'd ignored politely followed up to check, I would try to shoot her a two-line e-mail stating the position was filled. I think it's just the civil thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I sometimes think how much headache I would have saved myself if I'd just written her a short e-mail with the professional, polite equivalent of "Go away!" Oh well. At least it made for a good story!

    ReplyDelete