Thursday, July 14, 2011

Typos and the Folly of Autocorrect

One of my Facebook friends posted today about how he always misspells the word business as buisness.

I can relate. For me, I always typo any word that ends in -tion. Like, information becomes informatino, and relation becomes relatino. It's as if my Italian roots are showing through.

Even the best spellers on earth make typos. I think it's a sign that your brain is moving faster than your body. Your fingers are trying to type one thing, but your mind has already raced on to the next thing, so your fingers get distracted. It reminds me of when my two-year-old is all amped up to tell me something, but she stutters, because she's thinking of the words faster than she can make her little mouth pronounce them.

Auto-Co-Wrecked

Then there's the hilarious world of autocorrect. Some smartphones make their best robot guess at what you might have been trying to say when you made your typo. If you haven't seen it, you need to check out www.damnyouautocorrect.com for gems such as the following:


No comments:

Post a Comment