Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spotlight on Science Writing


My first "real job" out of college was as a science writer. I would go to the Harvard Medical Library, photocopy studies of interest, bring them back to the office, and write about them for a nonscientist audience at an 8th grade reading level.

It was some of the most challenging and interesting work I've ever done. I majored in Biology during college, and even though I decided that writing/editing was my true calling, I'm always interested in the latest scientific research and discoveries.

So I had to share this excellent article called "Do Cellphones Cause Brain Cancer?" To me this is an example of truly excellent science writing. It presents scientific findings in an interesting and relatable way, and explores all sides of the issue with journalistic integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment