Monday, July 15, 2013

Why I Want Tim Gunn to Be My Uncle

My life is hectic and jam-packed. I work full-time and have two kids, not to mention extended family, friends, a blog, and a Candy Crush addiction.

I don’t have time to pause and look for inspiration. But sometimes inspiration finds me. And that’s why I love Tim Gunn.

Why Tim Inspires Me

Like most people, I first saw Tim on Project Runway, where he serves as the charming, avuncular mentor and advisor to the designers who compete on the show.

I liked him immediately. Despite his quirky bow ties and overly elegant manners, there seemed something so relatable and human about the guy. Like he was somebody with a deep capacity for understanding other people, because he’d known pain and hardship himself.

And he has known pain. He grew up in a household so homophobic that he didn’t come out to anyone in his family until he was 29. As a child, he felt isolated and unhappy—teased because of his stutter, lacking close friends. Yet he put all that behind him and made an incredible life for himself.

He’s my idol. He achieved international fame, yet he remains both humble and accessible. He works in an industry that’s hyper-focused on the superficial, yet he cares deeply about being fair, kind, and encouraging to other people, and being the best possible version of himself.

Seriously, Can I Adopt Him? Or Have Him Adopt Me?

How can I not love the man who said:
  • “You can be too rich and too thin, but you can never be too well read or too curious about the world.”
  • “I believe that treating other people well is a lost art.”
  • “I will always be there in the wings saying, 'You need to be good to people. You need to take your work seriously. You need to have integrity. You need to work with what you've got.”
  • “Few activities are as delightful as learning new vocabulary.” 
Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style

An Angel on My Shoulder

Every so often, I’ll be having a blue moment. My kids will be driving me insane and shaking my faith in my parenting abilities. Or I’ll be heading in to work on 3 hours of sleep because the baby was up half the night.

And then, in my head, Tim Gunn is there. He gives me that look that only he can give: sympathetic and sweet, but businesslike and down-to-earth. And then he says to me, as if I were a Project Runway competitor:

“Jennifer, you have a lot of work to do. But I like what you’ve done so far. Make it work.”

And then I smile. And I make it work. Because if Tim Gunn says so, then it’s going to be OK.

14 comments:

  1. Oh how I love me some Tim Gunn, too! He was on Sesame Street the other day, and the toddler and I both squealed with delight. He does seem like such an authentically kind person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) He really is so sweet. It really would be cool to have him as a mentor wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are awesome quotes. lovin tim too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is my most favoritest!! I love him on Project Runway, and I also love so much hearing his voice as my kids watch Sofia the First as the butler guy. When I first heard it, I might have squeed just a touch. I feel no shame! He is just the best kind of person. Positive, helpful, supportive and the best possible cheerleader. Love. Him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love him so so so much. I mean crazy love him. I want him to adopt me too. WE could be half-sisters! And he could upgrade my style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me happy. I love your tribute to Tim. Thanks for sharing those awesome quotes! Carry on.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I didn't know about this master of wisdom, but you can bet I'll be googling some inspirational video footage after this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim Gunn is the best. You're post brightened my day. I had no idea about all of the hardships he endured, I respect him even more now. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thrilled that Tim Gunn has so many fans besides me. He deserves them! He is super high up on my cocktail party list of celebs I'd like to have dinner with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Tim Gunn. Really. I want to be his BFF. He's all the things you've described here so well. I could hear that dialogue in his voice. He'd be saying "Jennifeerrr" like "designeerrsss".
    I really liked your post. Really well written and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, I love the quotes! Sounds like a cool guy I should get to know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea who he was until my wife explained while the family was watching Sofia the First. I've found that I can do a pretty good impression of his voice now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. People say he's one of the nicest people in the fashion industry, and I love it that what comes across the screen is the "real" him---always encouraging and positive. I haven't watched "Project Runway" in awhile, but he was one of the reasons I stayed with it as long as I did. My favorite thing each episode was his, "Thank you, Mood!!" when they left the fabric store. He didn't have to say thank you, but he did. And all the kiddo designers followed suit like baby ducks behind their mama. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! I love Tim Gunn and I admire him deeply. But I didn't know these other things about him until I read them here today on your blog. Wonderful!
    I hear his "make it work" in my head often. So inspiring. Thank you for your well written post! You have inspired me today too.
    That's cool!!!

    ReplyDelete