Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Why Biking to Work Kicks Ass (And Not Just My Out-of-Shape Ass)


Image credit: www.planetbike.com
Today I biked to work for the first time in 2+ years. My legs hurt, but I am damn proud of myself. Eight miles ain’t too shabby for a woman who hasn’t been on a bike since getting pregnant with her now-1-year-old.

I have missed this. I used to ride to work more often. But that was before children entered the picture and made mornings before work 1,000 times busier than they used to be.

So now I present to you, David Letterman style, my own personal…

Top 10 Reasons to Bike to Work on Chicago’s Lake Shore Path
  1. The magnificent views of the lake and the downtown skyline
  2. The morning sunlight glinting off Lake Michigan
  3. Setting my own timetable, rather than waiting for the CTA
  4. Not being stopped in traffic
  5. Being gloriously solitary and free, rather than being one of 125 commuters packed onto a bus like sardines
  6. Breathing in fresh air, and the smell of freshly cut grass, rather than vehicle exhaust
  7. The exhilaration
  8. The forced freedom from my cell phone, allowing my mind to wander
  9. The exercise
And the number one reason to bike to work along the lake shore path:
  1. Flying past the bumper-to-bumper traffic on Lake Shore Drive (Nyah, nyah!)
I even made it to work in less time than it takes on the bus. Which says a lot more about Chicago traffic than it does about my athleticism, you can take that to the bank.

Happy Bike to Work Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment