Sunday, August 21, 2011

LinkedIn Poll: "Which writing mistake drives you crazy?"

Good morning!

Thought I'd share this little poll with you all. LinkedIn asked: "Which writing mistake drives you crazy?"

I find the results somewhat surprising. The number one most annoying mistake, as rated by people who took the poll, was homophone misuse (e.g. writing except when you mean accept). This one annoys me too, but I thought "Punctuation abuse" would score much higher than it did.

Also encouraging was the mistake voted second most annoying: "Cliches, passive voice, trite writing." Granted, people who chose to take this poll are more likely than the general population to care about quality writing. But it's encouraging to me because it says to me that a significant number of folks still care about good writing. Sometimes, reading things on the internet, it's easy to think that good writing isn't valued much.

No comments:

Post a Comment