Monday, January 3, 2011

Addictive Word Games

If someone who loves food is a foodie, then I have always been a wordie. As a kid, I wrote and read all the time (and still do), even when I didn't have to do it for class. I can geek out about etymology with the geekiest of them.

So it's no surprise that I adore word games. Crosswords, word searches, word scrambles, ciphers--bring 'em on!

My latest obsession is Word Twist on Facebook. As a wordie (not to mention a professional editor), I am appalled that I have managed to score only a pathetic sixth place among my friends.

The internet, of course, provides infinite opportunities to waste all of your waking hours playing word games. Then again, "Time enjoyed wasting is not wasted time," as one of my buddies quoted on her page in our college yearbook.

Tell Me I'm Not Alone

What are YOUR favorite word games? How addicted are you? Can you sit for hours at a time and play them until your eyes bleed and not regret a single solitary second? Do you prefer to play them on paper, or online?

Happy 2011, and happy word gaming!

1 comment:

  1. I do crosswords on paper, and occasionally on line, if I don't have any others handy. I'm far from a crossword genius, but I enjoy them. I also play a few different word games on Facebook. Word Twist is one, but I don't do terribly well at it. PathWords is another I like.

    I love Scramble (Facebook Boggle), and will often find myself playing it over and over and over again. I got hooked when I borrowed a hand-held electronic Boggle game during a time when I was doing a lot of waiting around a hospital and then caring for someone after their surgery. The endless supply of fresh grids and the shortness of individual games made for an ideal distraction that I could pick up and put down as needed.

    I just got back into Lexulous (Facebook Scrabble) after a bit of time away and have been enjoying it immensely. I have a game open in another tab right now, in fact. The friend I've been playing with most recently is just about a perfect match for me, which is what I'm looking for. A tight game is much more fun and satisfying than a blowout.

    ReplyDelete